You can’t force sleep. The harder you try, the less you’ll get.
You can set the stage to entice sleep to come to you.
Here are some of the ways…
Preparing the Way
- Evaluate the stress in your life. What can be removed?
- Use your bedroom only for sleep, sickness, and sex.
- Avoid caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol 4-6 hours before bedtime.
- Avoid large meals right before bed.
- Remove clocks from your bedroom (or turn them away from you).
- Exercise (instead of nap) during the day.
- Keep a regular routine.
- Get up and go to sleep at the same time each day.
- Drink warm milk before bed.
- Journal before bed
- Write down what’s on your mind. Brainstorm a few solutions before climbing into bed.
- Calm your body.
- Slow your breathing to four counts in, four counts out.
- Slowly tense and then relax different muscle groups (e.g. hands, biceps, chest, abs, etc).
- Get out of bed once you realize you’ve been tossing and turning
- Do something that slows down your brain or is boring (e.g. difficult crossword puzzles, read the bible, read a technical article). Return to bed once you start to feel drowsy.
- There’s nothing like being given a little extra time to connect with the Creator of the universe!